Tuesday, November 4, 2008

11-3-08 Lecture


Wow! Never have I been more excited about becoming a teacher, than I was tonight. Tonight's lecture brought in three teachers who were Luther grads. There was a special ed. teacher, a choir director, and a fifth grade teacher. It was so awesome listening to the experiences that the three of them have encountered as teachers.

There were two things that I was really happy to hear. The first, was that all three felt very well prepared after graduating from Luther. I am kind of nervous to become a teacher, but it is nice to know that Luther will do a good job of preparing us. However, one teacher brought up the fact that we will NEVER be 100% ready for what we will encounter in the classroom. So much of successful teaching comes from constantly learning from everything that you encounter. Never let the bad things bring you down. Instead, look at the experience as a time to grow as an educator. I will carry that bit of advice with me forever.

The second thing that I liked hearing was that none of the teachers regret their decision to become an educator. All three of them said that teaching was a very rewarding experience, and although the money is not the greatest, you gain so much more. I am so excited to become a teacher, and I cannot wait to experience the rewarding feelings that they experience almost every day.

One last thing that I was happy to hear, was in regards to the lady who teaches special education. I am getting an endorsement in special ed., and I recently considered switching endorsements. She talked a little bit about the high demand for special ed. teachers. She said that only two people applied for the position in Decorah. This kind of assured me that I will more than likely be able to find a job pretty easily. I was glad to hear this.

I really enjoyed this lecture. Like I said, I left Olin feeling very happy and excited about becoming a teacher. :)

No comments: